Meiji Roman (general term for the thought and cultural events that are suggestive of the Meiji era) Large farms and Nasu Canal
Large farms were developed in Nasunogahara by people of nobility and others in the private sector following the industrial growth policy of the new Meiji government.
Nasu Canal (about 16 km long), one of the three longest canals in Japan was completed in about five months which was incredibly speedy as it was built 100 meters a day to provide drinking water and irrigation water to people in Nasunogahara. The canal helped the development of large farms.
Main channel of Nasu Canal
Western-style large farms opened by elder statesmen
As a pioneer of large farm:
Chokosha (about 1,000 ha) — a farm owned by nobility and directed by Michitsune Mishima
⇒ It became Mishima Farm later.
Nasukaikonsha (about 3,400 ha) organized by the people in the private sector including Josaku Innami, Takeshi Yaita, etc.
⇒ It was divided and a part of it was taken over later by Senbonmatsu Farm opened by Masayoshi Matsukata, etc.
Senbonmatsu (Thousand pine trees) Farm
Former Second House of the Aokis in Nasu
This building was built in 1888 as a second house in Nasu by Shuzo Aoki who started Aoki Farm, and was designed by Tsumunaga Matsugasaki, the designer of the main office of the 77 Bank, Ltd. and a few railway stationsstation and the Taiwan Railway Hotel in Taiwan. This is the only work of his that remains in Japan. The second house has been designated as one of the national important cultural properties, and you can see inside the building for a fee.
The second house of General Maresuke Nogi
General Nogi designed the second house in the simple style of farming house himself. It is said that he spent much of his leave of absence in the house. He was said to have spent a simple life of farming in good weather and reading on rainy days. It is located in Nogi Shinto Shrine in Nasu.
The second house of the Oyama
Among the second houses of the owners of the large farms in Nasu, this is the only red-brick house. It still stands with dignity and the atmosphere of the Meiji era. It is located on the premise of the farm of Nasu Takuyo High School.
The second house of the Matsukata
A two-storied western-style wooden house built in 1903. Part of the outer wall is made of stones. As it is a private property, you can only see the external appearance from Senbonmatsu Farm.
The farms owned by the elder statesmen in Nasunogahara
(Marquess) Samurai of Satsuma Domain. Elder statesman. Councilor, marshal, admiral, etc. <248 ha>
(Viscount) Samurai of Choshu Domain. Privy Councilor, Minister of Home Affairs, etc. <226 ha>
(Viscount) Samurai of Satsuma Domain. Prefectural governor, the chief of the Engineering Bureau of the Home Ministry, the Chief Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, etc. <1,037 ha>
(Earl) Samurai of Saga Domain. Minister of Agriculture and Commerce. He established the Japanese Red Cross Society, etc. <257 ha>
(Viscount) Feudal Lord of Saga Domain. Japanese Minister Plenipotentiary in Italy, Chief Master of Ceremonies of the Ministry of the Imperial Household, etc. <383 ha>
(Earl） Feudal Lord of Ogaki Domain. Japanese Minister Plenipotentiary in Austria, etc. <883 ha>