- A city with a population of about 117,000 people, which is located in the northern part of Tochigi prefecture and was formed by the merger of former Kuroiso city, Shiobara city and Nishinasuno city on January 1, 2005.
- Shiobara Onsen is in Shiobara area, Itamura Onsen is in Kuroiso area, and some hot springs are in Nishinasuno area.
- Shiobara is proud of the No. 1 monetary value of production of raw milk in the main Honshu Iisland of Japan.
- There was the imperial villa in Shiobara area, which was loved by the Emperors and their family members in the Meiji, Taisho and Showa eras. The villa has been relocated and is opened to the public now.
- A tourist spot with rich local products such as dairy product using raw milk, strawberry and other fruits, and special vegetables which grow in highland taking advantage of the elevation.
Shiobara and the imperial family
Memorial Park of the Emperor’s Room
The imperial villa was located near Houkigawa River in a scenic site with the splendid view of Toriikoyama, and was loved by Meiji, Taisho and Showa Emperors and their family members.